Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Right now, I'm reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. I had the book on order through the library for about three weeks before I got it...that's how many people were in line to read it. A while ago, I read another book by the same author, "The Kite Runner." I have to say that I really love both of these books. I know that is such a simple statement, yet it is completely true. Both novels are set in Afghanistan and while entertaining the reader, they also give a brief history lesson on this very misunderstood country. Hosseini has such a way with words that it's hard to explain. It's the way he describes the "little" experiences in his characters lives that really gets to me. We all have memories of random events in our lives; things that seemed so minor at the time, but for some reason are held onto throughout the years by our conscience. Hosseini captures these small moments beautifully, and wraps them around the larger experiences of his characters. His stories are heartbreaking and hopeful at the same time, and while his writing can be emotionally difficult on the reader, it is well worth it.

No comments: